DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: Friday, August 18, 2017 – 6 p.m. (PST)
The WGAW Feature Writer Access Project is currently accepting submissions from WGAW members who qualify under the program Guidelines. The goal of this peer judging program is to increase access of minority, writers 60 and older and women feature film writers to agents, managers, studio executives and producers of feature films.
The Feature Writer Access Project is designed to increase access for WGAW members who belong to the largest groups of historically underemployed writers in the feature film arena. The Project also benefits executives who are acquiring or developing feature film scripts by highlighting a strong pool of diverse candidates for their consideration.
The decision to target minority, writers 60 and older and women writers was based in significant part on the data and analysis contained in the 2016 Hollywood Writers Report.
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
The Diversity Department is now accepting submissions for the 2017 Feature Writer Access Project. WGAW members interested in participating in the Project should carefully read the information below.
JUDGING PROCESS AND PROGRAM FORMAT
With the assistance of Advisory Committee members and Member Services Department staff, a group of experienced WGA feature writers will be recruited to serve as judges.. Each judge will be asked to rate the scripts based on a rubric. No more than 10 writers and/or writing teams will be selected as honorees. Scripts and bios of honorees will be posted on the WGAW website and an announcement sent to the press and to studio executives, producers, agents, and managers.
All judging will be on the basis of blind submissions; no names or other identifying information will appear on the literary material submitted to the judges. Judges will be required to return or delete the literary material upon completion of judging.
- At the time of submission, a Project participant must be an Associate, Current Active (including Lifetime Current), Post-Current, or Associate Caucus member in Active status of the WGAW. If submission is made by a writing team, both writers must be an Associate, Current Active, Post-Current, or Associate Caucus member in Active status of the WGAW. Emeritus members are eligible if they meet all other criteria and take necessary steps to transfer to Post-Current status. Contact the Membership Department if you have questions about your membership status (323) 782-4532.
- All dues must be current at the time of application. If your membership status is listed as “In Arrears”, please contact the Dues Department at (323) 782-4351 in order to arrange for payment in full (payment can be made by credit card) before submitting your application.
WE CANNOT MAKE EXCEPTIONS TO THE ABOVE REQUIREMENT.
- Each Project participant must be a self-identified member of a minority group (including American Indian, African American, Asian American and/or Latino), a writer 60 and older, woman or a writing team comprised of at least one such person.
- Participants must submit one (1) current feature-length, unproduced spec script. Scripts written for hire under a WGAW contract are not eligible for consideration, nor are spec scripts that have been sold or are currently optioned to any company.
- Judges will be advised that they can reject scripts that are improperly formatted or have an unacceptable number of typographical errors.
- All scripts must be sent in a PDF format electronically using the link below. HARD COPIES OF SCRIPTS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- Participants must submit an application and signed release form together with the submitted script. Forms may be downloaded here.
- Participants must submit proof of WGA script registration or copyright registration for the submitted material.
- Members who have performed writing services on a long-form project (feature or TV) during the past three years are not eligible to apply.
- The deadline for all submissions (including literary material, application, signed release form and proof of registration) is 6 p.m. (PST) Friday, August 18, 2017.
- Participants will receive an email acknowledgement when their completed application has been received.
- Participants will be notified by email of the results of the judging process in both the semi-final and final round.
- It is anticipated that final selections will be made by MID NOVEMBER 2017.
- If you have any questions about the submission process or the criteria for submission, please contact the Diversity Department with “Feature Writer Access Project” in the subject line, or call (323) 782-4589.