Writers Guild of America, west, Inc.
Some WGAw Accomplishments of the Past Twelve Months:
CREATIVE RIGHTS & CREDITS...
- Issued a Creative Rights "Report Card" to the CEOs of the major movie studios.
- Worked on joint WGA-DGA creative rights initiatives
- Participated in Credits Convention (aka Industry-Wide Credits Talks)
- Incorporated member-approved changes in the Credits Manual
THE EMPLOYMENT ACCESS DEPARTMENT...
- Held diversity meetings with leadership of all networks and major studios
- Co-sponsored networking events with CBS and Universal
- Founded the Gay and Lesbian Writers Committee
- Founded the Asian American Writers Committee
- Coordinated 25 access committee events, including panels and screenings
- Developed a CD-Rom directory of minority writers
- Produced statistical report on employment of protected class writers in TV
THE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY REGISTRY...
- Launched its Online Script Registration System
- Initiated a marketing campaign to promote the integrity of the system and to enhance publicity at conferences, seminars, and festivals
THE LEGAL DEPARTMENT...
- Resolved 181 cases, collecting $2,861,085.38 for writers and $85,180.38 for the Guild
- Won major victories in Reacquisition and Character Payment cases
- Competed testimony and briefing in first phase of "Free Rewrites" cases; awaiting arbitration decision
THE CONTRACTS DEPARTMENT...
- Collected $1,156,210.89 for writers
- Began a new phase in Late Payment enforcement
THE NEWLY CREATED ORGANIZING DEPARTMENT...
- Launched the Independent Film Writers Caucus
- Promulgated a new Low Budget Agreement for independent films
- Created Nonfiction Writers Caucus
- Promulgated basic cable nonfiction Organizing Contract
- Launched Nonfiction Organizing Drive including amnesty and salting programs
- Established working relations with organizers at SAG, AFTRA, IATSE, and DGA for future joint organizing ventures
- Formed Documentary Credits Coalition, successfully stopping Discovery Channel from eliminating onscreen credits
THE RESIDUALS DEPARTMENT...
- Created the Rapid Residuals Processing system dramatically reducing residual delivery time
- Created Online Residual Review for members to check their residual history back to 1996
- Collected $9.1 million in unpaid residuals and interest