The mission of the Videogame Writers Caucus (VWC) is to promote the professional and artistic interests of interactive writers in the multibillion dollar videogame industry. The VWC seeks to raise the writers’ status and influence within this industry, build a community of professional videogame writers within the WGAW, and expand the coverage of videogame writing under WGA contracts.
- Educate writers about the videogame industry and educate the videogame industry about professional writers via meetings, panels, and conferences.
- Encourage the public crediting of videogame writers by promoting the Videogame Writing Award.
- Work with other Guilds, studios, networks, companies, and organizations to promote the general welfare of the writer in the videogame industry.
- Expand WGA coverage to writers working in the videogame industry.
BENEFITS OF CAUCUS MEMBERSHIP
VWC members receive WGAW mailings and communications, are eligible to serve on WGAW committees, use the WGAW Script Registration Service at a reduced rate and attend Guild Screenings. VWC members may also become members of the Musicians' Interguild Credit Union (subject to their discretion).
Applicants for membership in the Caucus must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Received a writing credit on at least one produced videogame.
- Was employed to write a design document or any other written videogame material, which in the judgment of the Videogame Writers Caucus Steering Committee is equivalent to writing a 30-minute television script.
- Was employed to write videogame material under a WGA contract.
WGA VIDEOGAME WRITING AWARD
Each year, Writers Guild of America West (WGAW) and Writers Guild of America, East (WGAE) present a Videogame Writing Award at their simultaneous awards ceremonies in Los Angeles and New York.
The WGA Videogame Writing Award was established by the Guilds’ Videogame Writers Caucus to encourage storytelling excellence in videogames, improve the status of videogame writers, and promote uniform standards within the videogame industry. It recognizes the creative contributions videogame writers have made to a host of globally popular videogame titles and to the burgeoning videogame industry as a whole.
Previous Videogame Writing Award winners include:
2016 – Rise of the Tomb Raider, Lead Narrative Designer John Stafford; Narrative Designer Cameron Suey; Lead Writer Rhianna Pratchett; Additional Writer Philip Gelatt; Microsoft
2015 – The Last of Us: Left Behind, Written by Neil Druckmann; Sony Computer Entertainment
2014 – The Last of Us, Written by Neil Druckmann; Sony Computer Entertainment
2013 – Assassin’s Creed III: Liberation, Scriptwriting by Richard Farrese, Jill Murray; Ubisoft
2012 – Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception, Written by Amy Hennig; Sony Computer Entertainment
2011 – Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, Story by Patrice Desilets, Jeffrey Yohalem, Corey May; Lead Script Writer: Jeffrey Yohalem; Script Writers: Ethan Petty, Nicholas Grimwood, Matt Turner; Ubisoft
2010 – Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Written by Amy Hennig; Sony Computer Entertainment
2009 – Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Writers Haden Blackman, Shawn Pitman, John Stafford and Cameron Suey, LucasArts
Contact the WGAW VWC at (323) 782-4511 or email: WGAW Videogame Writers Caucus.