WGAW’s Writers Education Committee (WEC) presents
Saturday, September 20, 2014
2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Fairfax High School*
7850 Melrose Ave., Los Angeles 90046
(SE corner at Fairfax Ave.)
Thank you for your interest in the Writers Salon. Due to the unique nature of this event and direct access to the speakers, all attendees must agree to the following procedures prior to submitting an RSVP.
YOU MUST BE A WRITERS GUILD MEMBER IN ACTIVE STATUS TO ATTEND THE WRITERS SALON.
NO GUESTS. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- The Salon is comprised of three 45-minute sessions: 2:00-2:45 p.m., 3:00-3:45 p.m. and 4:00-4:45 p.m. Registration opens at 1:15p and we recommend you travel early enough to allow time for parking. If you arrive late, we cannot guarantee that you can attend that hour’s session.
- At registration, you will receive a colored wristband for your track of speakers. No one will be admitted to any room without the appropriate color wristband. Please help us maintain a professional environment by honoring the event format.
- At the end of each of the first two sessions, please respect everyone’s time by going to your next class. Writers Ed Committee members will be stationed in each room and ask members to vacate so that the next session can start on time. At the close of your 4:00 p.m. session, you are welcome to stay with your third speaker or return to a previous room. We are depending on your cooperation in facilitating a smooth transition between sessions.
- Absolutely NO recording or streaming.
- Out of respect for our esteemed speakers, please refrain from giving them unsolicited materials.
- We are guests at Fairfax High School*. Please respect their rules and property at all times. NO drugs, alcohol or tobacco products are permitted on the premises. Limited free parking is available at the high school on the day of the Salon (enter from Melrose or Fairfax Aves. to access their school lot). Street, metered, and residential parking are available at your cost. Please read all signs to avoid ticketing or towing.
- Concessions will be available in the halls before first class and during breaks for a nominal fee, benefiting youth programs. No food or drink (except bottled water) is permitted inside the classroom. Please help us leave the classrooms free from litter.
When you submit your RSVP, please choose your track in order of highest preference (e.g. 1st choice: Track C; 2nd: Track A; 3rd: Track B). Please rank all three in case your first and/or second choice is filled by members who responded before you. Attendees will not be allowed to jump from track to track.
Speakers to date (subject to availability; names linked to IMDb credits):
MARA BROCK AKIL – creator, Being Mary Jane, The Game, and Girlfriends
MARTI NOXON – creator, Girlfriend’s Guild to Divorce; co-creator, Un-Real; Writers Guild Award-winning staff of Mad Men; EP, Buffy, the Vampire Slayer
EILEEN HEISLER – co-creator with DeAnn Heline, The Middle, Lipstick Jungle, and Three Sisters
ALEXANDRA CUNNINGHAM – EP, Aquarius; developer, Prime Suspect; Emmy-nominated writer with staff of Desperate Housewives; Writers Guild-nominated with staff of Rome
K.J. STEINBERG – developer, Mistresses; Gossip Girl; co-creator, The Nine
MOIRA WALLEY-BECKETT – creator, Flesh and Bone; Emmy-winning writer for episode “Ozymandias”, Emmy and Writers Guild-winning with staff, Breaking Bad; sup. prod., Pan Am
TRACK C - group updated 9/11/14, regrets from Liz Friedman
LIZ HELDENS – creator, Camp, Deception and Mercy; multiple Writers Guild nominations with writing staff of Friday Night Lights
I. MARLENE KING – developer, Pretty Little Liars; co-creator, Ravenswood
LIZ TIGELAAR – cons. prod., Bates Motel; Writers Guild-nominated with staff, Nashville; creator, Life Unexpected
If you agree to all of the above, please click [I AGREE] to be directed to the RSVP email. Again, please send us your three ranked tracks from A, B, and C. You are not ranking individual speakers.
LAST DAY FOR WEB RSVPS – Wednesday, September 17, 6:00PM
*Use of these school premises has been granted pursuant to the provisions of Sections 17400, et seq., of the Education Code of the State of California to WRITERS GUILD OF AMERICA, WEST, INC. (WGAW) from the Board of Education of the Los Angeles Unified School District. The Board of Education does not sponsor or take responsibility, nor does it necessarily endorse any of the activities, statements, or opinions which may be expressed at this meeting or activity.