The Motion Picture & Television Fund (“MPTF”), an 84-year-old charity that provides social, charitable health care and senior services exclusively for entertainment industry members, administers the Writers Guild of America West (“WGAW”) Good and Welfare Emergency Assistance Fund (“Assistance”).
WGAW Current members in good standing and Post-Current members who are experiencing acute financial distress may contact MPTF Community Social Services (“CSS Professional”) by calling (323) 634-3888, a voice mail number, to leave a message. Calls to this line are returned the same day, typically within two (2) hours of the time the message is left.
A CSS Professional will call the WGAW member to gather relevant eligibility information and to describe the Assistance program. While the information is received and being evaluated, appropriate referrals are given as warranted by the situation. If the WGAW member is not eligible for Assistance, the CSS Professional will provide additional referrals as appropriate.
If the WGAW member meets eligibility, the CSS Professional will instruct the WGAW member on documents required for an office visit in L.A, area, located at 3601 W. Olive Ave Suite 625,Burbank, CA, 91505.. Typically, the appointment will be scheduled within three (3) business days after the WGAWS member meets eligibility requirements. If the WGAW member does not live in the Los Angeles area, the process may be completed by mail and/or fax.
- WGAW Current, Post Current or Lifetime member applicant contacts MPTF Community Social Service (“Social Service”) by calling (323) 634-3888, a voice mail number, to leave a message. Calls to this line are returned the same day, typically within two (2) hours of the time the message is left.
- A MPTF Social Worker (“Social Worker”) calls the applicant, completes an INTAKE, and describes the Good and Welfare Emergency Loan Fund (“Loan Fund”) program. At this time, appropriate referrals are given as warranted by the situation. A RELEASE OF INFORMATION is faxed or mailed to the applicant so that ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION such as earnings, membership status, dues balance, and outstanding loans information may be verified by WGAW Executive Assistant Tiffany Slater.
- After the relevant Loan Fund information is received and evaluated, the assigned Social Worker will call the applicant to advise of his/her eligibility status. If the applicant is not eligible for a loan, the Social Worker will provide additional referrals as appropriate.
- If the applicant meets eligibility requirements, the assigned Social Worker will complete the TELEPHONE INTERVIEW CHECKLIST and the BUDGET WORKSHEET AND CASE PLAN (BUDGET). If the request continues to meet Loan Fund criteria, the Social Worker will advise the applicant of the documents required for an office appointment. An office appointment will then be scheduled. Typically, the appointment will be scheduled within three (3) business days of the telephone interview. If the applicant does not live in the Los Angeles area, the application process may be completed by mail and/or fax.
- During the office appointment, the applicant and Social Worker will complete the EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE – FINANCIAL DECLARATION, SOCIAL SERVICE FORM and FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE REPAYMENT ACKNOWLEDGEMENT.
- If the financial assistance required, the Social Worker will email the BUDGET to the members of the WGAW Membership and Finance Committee (“MFC”) for their approval. Majority approval by the MFC will be needed to authorize assistance. It is expected that MFC members will respond to the email request within two (2) business days. If the majority of the MFC has not timely responded, MPTF Fund staff will call WGAW C.F.O. to contact those MFC members who have not yet responded to the request for assistance.
- Applicants who want to express their concerns about changes in the Loan Fund program will be referred to WGAW CFO.
- Applicants have the right to appeal a decision by the Social Worker. The applicant should write a letter to the MPTF Manager of Community Social Services stating why a change in the Social Worker’s decision is warranted. A packet, including the applicant’s letter, the BUDGET, and the Social Worker’s reasons for assistance or denial should be forwarded by the MPTF to WGAW C.F.O. for review. The MFC will consider the appeal within two (2) months. The decision by the MFC is final.