In our 2020 negotiations, the WGA added a new portable Paid Parental Leave (PPL) benefit as Article 71 of the MBA, the first of its kind under an industrywide collective bargaining agreement in the U.S.
We are pleased to announce the details of this new benefit, which goes into effect on May 2, 2021.
- The PPL benefit is available to Health Fund participants who work under the MBA or other agreements under which the employer is required to pay these contributions; whose children are born, adopted, fostered, or placed with them for adoption on or after May 2, 2021; and who are eligible for Writers Guild health insurance at the time of birth, adoption, fostering, or placement for adoption.
- The PPL benefit is $2,000 per week for up to eight weeks. The weeks need not be taken consecutively.
- The PPL benefit is available for a 12-month window from the date of birth, adoption or placement.
- In order to receive PPL benefits, participants must not work for an employer during the period for which the PPL is taken. A residual, production bonus, or other similar deferred payment received during the benefit period will not interfere with eligibility.
- If both parents are WGA writers who are eligible for Writers Guild health coverage at the time of birth, adoption, fostering, or placement for adoption, then each is separately eligible for the paid parental leave benefit.
The PPL benefit builds on MBA Article 68 of the MBA, which was negotiated in 2017 and guaranteed the right for television series writers to take up to eight weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave. This new paid benefit is available to all writers who qualify for Writers Guild health coverage under the MBA, including screenwriters, comedy-variety writers, and writers of game shows, documentaries, and other non-dramatic programs.
Members who anticipate they will need and be eligible for this benefit should contact the Health Fund to get started. Let the Fund know you expect to have a new dependent on or after May 2, 2021 and a PPL benefit package will be sent to you with all the necessary application materials.
If you have any questions, please consult the Fund’s PPL Guide or contact the Fund at (818) 846-1015 (toll-free: (800) 227-7863) or via email.
WGAW Board of Directors
David A. Goodman, President
Marjorie David, Vice President
Michele Mulroney, Secretary-Treasurer
Dante W. Harper
Deric A. Hughes
Patric M. Verrone
Beau Willimon, President
Kathy McGee, Vice President
Bob Schneider, Secretary-Treasurer
Monica Lee Bellais
Lisa Takeuchi Cullen